In the last week I have been nominated for two awards, which is very exciting. When I started blogging in April I never imagined that so many people would read my work and then come back for more. I’ve made friends with some amazing writers and learned so much about the craft of writing.
I was nominated for The Reality Award by The Habitual Runaway, whose own blog has the format I’m aiming for. It’s witty and concise, with just the right number of photos. To accept the award I need to nominate five of my favourite blogs and answer five questions so you can get to know more about me.
1. If you could change something, what would you change?
If I could change my job, I would be a costume designer for historical dramas. I love history, especially English history and I love to stitch. That way I could combine two passions. This stitcher is living my dream job. She is making Tudor clothing for the Mary Rose exhibition at the Dockyards in Portsmouth, England.
2. If you could relive one day, when would that be?
It would be my wedding day. I would have a different car, because the one I did have broke down on the way to the church! I had to sit there waiting while the driver walked up the hill to get his own car and then he and Dad tied the ribbons on it. I was 20 minutes late! Later Dad told Mum that he was amazed by how calm I was. My reply: “What else could I do?” It was not the time to burst into tears.
3. What one thing really scares you?
Snakes – I DON’T like snakes. (please take note Marsha Lee) This is as close as I want to get to a snake.
4. What one dream have you not completed yet and do you think you will be able to complete it?
I have written the manuscripts for two children’s picture books and have plans for two more. My dream is that they will be published one day. It takes a lot of work to get books published and I’ve researched the traditional methods as well as self-publishing. Both options seem very daunting but if I keep persevering I think it will happen. At least I won’t have to use Johannes Gutenberg’s printing press!
5. If you could be someone else for the day, who would you be?
I would like to be a child in my class, so that I could see myself as the children see me. I wonder if I would like what I see. I’d like to think so.
The five blogs I nominate for this award are:
Virginia Plantation Michelle and Brett are chronicling their development of a plantation in Virginia which has the most amazing history and will have a great future in their hands.
My French Heaven Stéphane shares delicious recipes, clever kitchen hints, gorgeous photos and great stories. The best thing is that he writes in French so I can try to read and understand it, and then again in English so I can check my understanding and learn new words and phrases. Who knows when I might need to use the phrase “vomi de Martien” in my travels.
Leanne Cole Photography Leanne shares her photography and her knowledge with easy to follow tutorials. My blog looks better because of her blog.
Tricia A Mitchell Tricia has a beautiful travel blog with gorgeous photos and insightful writing.
retireediary Michael’s blog is also about travel. It inspires me to think about all the places we will visit when we are retired. There is light at the end of the working tunnel.
This morning I checked my WordPress page, as I do every morning these days, and found that Mrs Carmichael , a fellow antipodean who has a secret crush on the yodelling world traveller Justin Beaver, has nominated my blog for Blog of the Year 2012 as well. What a thrill.
The ‘rules’ for the Blog of the Year 2012 Award (from the creators of this award) are simple:
1. Select the blog(s) you think deserve the ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award.
2. Write a blog post and tell us about the blog(s) you have chosen – there’s no minimum or maximum number of blogs required – and ‘present’ them with their award.
3. Please include a link back to this page ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award –http://thethoughtpalette.co.uk/our-awards/blog-of-the-year-2012-award/ and include these ‘rules’ in your post (please don’t alter the rules or the badges!).
4. Let the blog(s) you have chosen know that you have given them this award and share the ‘rules’ with them.
5. You can now also join our Facebook group – click ‘like’ on this page ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award Facebook group and then you can share your blog with an even wider audience.
6. As a winner of the award – please add a link back to the blog that presented you with the award – and then proudly display the award on your blog and sidebar … and start collecting stars…!
You can find the award designs here: http://thethoughtpalette.co.uk/our-awards/blog-of-the-year-2012-award/
Here are my nominees for Blog of the Year 2012:
Marsha Lee who has very quickly become my blogging sister. We might be on opposite sides of the world but we think the same!
A Nomad in the Land of Nizwa who has travelled the world and worked everywhere.
Mrs Carmichael Back at you Mrs C. Thanks for the wonderful conversations, sometimes at Mr C’s expense.
I used to be indecisive who simply makes me laugh, often and loudly.